
JUBA — The Special Court trying South Sudan’s suspended first vice president, Dr. Riek Machar, and seven co-accused members has postponed its ruling on a defense application seeking permission to audio and video record the remaining proceedings until August 19, 2026.
During the 108th session on Monday, Judge Stephen Simon Binjigwa, a member of the three-judge panel, said the three-judge bench had not finalized its decision because it had been engaged in constitutional panel discussions.
“This session was fixed for the court to rule on the application of the defense, but due to the fact that the panel was involved in a constitutional panel, we were unable to write our judgment,” Simon said.
The defense lawyers made the request earlier, seeking permission to audio and video record the remaining trial proceedings. They argued that preserving the proceedings in digital format was important given South Sudan’s uncertain political and security environment.
The defense said a digital record would help preserve what it described as the truth of the case for the South Sudanese public, provide reference material for future courts and academic institutions, and safeguard the proceedings against potential political or security developments that could affect access to the official court record.
However, lead prosecutor Ajo Ony’Ohisa rejected the defense’s claim that the prosecution has a video camera to independently record the proceedings for its own records.
The court adjourned the session until Wednesday, 19 August, when it is expected to deliver its ruling on the defense application.
Machar and several co-accused face allegations related to the March 2025 violence in Nasir, Upper Nile State. Machar and his co-accused have denied the allegations against them.
The trial, which has drawn significant national attention due to the high-profile nature of the accused, is being presided over by Judge James Alala Deng, alongside Justices Stephen Simon and Isaac Pur Majok.
The prosecution team comprises 13 lawyers drawn from the Ministry of Justice and other legal institutions, including Counsel General Deng Achuil Adija, Dr. Sabri Wani Lado, Serafino Simon Mizan, and Filberto Mayuot Mareng.
On the defense side, six lawyers are representing the accused, including Dr. Geri Raymond Legge, Kur Lual Kur, and Anis Tombe Augustino.
Investigations into the case are being led by Major General Basile Thomas Wani, assisted by Brigadier General John Dak, while Captain Richard Gachi Apollo of the Internal Security Service is listed as the complainant.
Those standing trial alongside Machar include Puot Kang Chuol, Mam Pal Dhuor, Gatwech Lam Puoch, Lt Gen Gabriel Duop Lam, Camilo Gatmai Kel, Mading Yak Riek, and Dominic Gatgok Riek.
As proceedings continue, the court is expected to further examine the credibility and implications of digital forensic evidence in establishing alleged links between political figures and armed groups.